Delivery – Online Mobile Learning: Students can complete this highly engaging and interactive course on any Apple iOS or android phone, tablet, or desktop computer. The course can be accessed anytime and anywhere.
Hours: 20 hours (Can be completed in as little as 1 week or up to a maximum period of 8 weeks)
This highly interactive mobile learning micro-course allows prospective entry-level personal care assistants, attendants, companions, or those currently working in patient and client care support roles, to better understand how to effectively communicate with clients, family, and co-workers. The course reviews fundamentals of communication theory and establishes techniques for creating positive, high-quality connections, while also identifying practical strategies to overcome communications challenges in a personal care setting.
Upon successful completion of this micro-course participants will be issued a digital badge affirming that they have achieved the competencies and objectives of the course.
Competencies and Objectives
● Describe the concept of interpersonal relationships and identify how these relationships establish and maintain the client-caregiver roles.
● Identify how verbal and non-verbal communication may be shaped by cultural practices.
● Identify common barriers to communication and use techniques to minimize their impact in client-personal care assistant relationships.
● Demonstrate the ability to communicate professionally, effectively and appropriately to clients with special needs.
● Demonstrate the ability to communicate professionally and effectively, while building positive relationships and high-quality connections with others including clients, their families, and members of the healthcare team.